Monday, July 9, 2007

Green Glass Beads & White Jade Split Ring Necklace

A thing of beauty is a joy forever
Its loveliness increases
It will never pass into nothingness
but still will keep, a bower quiet for us,
and a sleep, full of sweet dreams,
and health, and quiet breathing.



I don't know what Keats had in mind when he wrote these words but this verse sure applies to my milleniums old white jade piece and my centuries old emerald green glass beads. This necklace combines my love of jade and glass beads.
The white jade in the shape of a slit ring was purchased in Southern Vietnam. I guess its vintage to be from the Sa Huynh culture of Southern Vietnam,(1000BC-200AD) and according to research, such rings were used as earrings by the natives of that long ago culture. This type of earring must have been pretty widespread in Vietnam as they have also been discovered at contemporary Dong Son(1000 BC) culture sites of Northern and Central Vietnam. Moreover they are also similar to the jade "jue" earrings already in use in neolithic China from as far back as 4500BC and this form of Chinese culture must have filtered down into Vietnam. Apologies for the long winded historical stuff. I try to depict my treasured pieces light heartedly but as this blog also serves as documentation for my collection, it has to fit in a few crusty facts too. I am intrigued by how these slit rings can fit into the earlobes of neolithic and bronze age man or is it woman ? How could it be secured ? Did these man or woman pierce their ears or were these rings simply clipped on ? What manner of garments, robes or hairstyles accompanied these ear ornaments ?? Hmm.... so many unaswered questions!! In my humble, 21st century opinion, I think such rings look better as pendants like the one conceived in my post !! (blush!)
The green glass beads on this necklace are also from Southern Vietnam but may have originated in China. These beads are young when compared to the jade ring, only at most 500-200 years ago. The emerald green beads contrast well with the lustrous white jade.


1 comment:

  1. Wow that was odd. I just wrote an really long comment but after I clicked
    submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr...
    well I'm not writing all that over again. Anyway, just wanted to say wonderful blog!


    my blog: loan lending; epage.nsysu.edu.tw,

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Favourite Books

  • Theft : a love story
  • The Uncommon Reader
  • The Silent Patient
  • Never Let me go
  • Angela's Angels
  • Where angels fear to tread