Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Blue Pendant with Buffalo under the Moon

This blue glass pendant hails from Yuan period of China (1115-1368 AD)and was purchased together with items in the 2 earlier posts.
According to Simon Kwan's book Early Chinese glass on page 355 where there is a picture of a similar pendant, the pattern is popular in glass and bronze during the Yuan period and many pieces have been excavated from Mongolian graves.The book also describes the drawing in the pendant as "Buffalo under the moon" What I am wondering is although I can see the buffalo, I can find no sign of the moon in the pendant. Nor in Simon Kwan's illustration on page 355. So I am still scratching my head as to why "under the moon" Only Simon Kwan can give the answer !
My piece is broken at the bottom and repaired and so appears Simon Kwan's example too.

Update go to https://baiyu-quietmuse.blogspot.com/2010/06/chinese-glass-ornaments-1.html



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Favourite Books

  • Theft : a love story
  • The Uncommon Reader
  • The Silent Patient
  • Never Let me go
  • Angela's Angels
  • Where angels fear to tread