Friday, August 1, 2008

Yuan Yang Ducks

I bought this "yu" carving of yuan yang ducks from my Guiyang trip. The name yuan yang, which refers to mandarin ducks, is a symbol of marital bliss in Chinese culture and such ducks are often featured in Chinese art.

The pair of ducks, set in a border of lotus leaves are the picture of harmony. Guiyang is bird country and so carvings of birdlife are common. I think the material is not jade though seller had claimed "yu". It is likely to be what the Chinese call manao, and which can cover anything from agate to carnelian and yu.



I am not sure which century these loving ducks hail from but 50-100 years should not be too far off the mark. I love the peaceful aura exuded by them and it is no wonder that fengshui masters promote yuan yang ducks for healing and enhancing relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Favourite Books

  • Theft : a love story
  • The Uncommon Reader
  • The Silent Patient
  • Never Let me go
  • Angela's Angels
  • Where angels fear to tread